Tuesday, July 26, 2016

A Conservative's Take on Day One of the 2016 DNC



It don't think it is a big secret that I tend to be a more conservative voter, however, I see wisdom in at least listening to what the other side has to say. That is why I watched the opening night of the DNC's list of speakers last night. I even watched it on MSNBC, which I and many others, feel is the most liberal of the news outlets.
To me, watching it or listening to it myself, gives me the chance to make up my own mind about what went on and how I feel about it, as opposed to relying on a journalist's take or a newscasters piece about it.
Here are my thoughts on what I saw, not that it matters because I hope you decide for yourself. 
I was shocked to see the newscasters and the speakers ignoring and talking over the top of Bernie supporters in the crowd who were chanting (enough people chanting that I could make out what they were saying over the speakers and see them shouting on the screen). They were NOT few or far between.
The newscasters at one point said, "We are trying to track down the protesters and find out what they are saying." When it was perfectly clear they were shouting things like "Lock Her Up!" "We Trusted You" "Bernie" and "Hell No DNC We Won't Vote For Hillary!"
I saw so many people in the crowd (not just a handful) chanting, may more standing silent with their mouths taped shut, or crying, or holding signs for Bernie as they ripped up or discarded Hillary signs.
Say what you will about Bernie's political beliefs (I know I have!) but he really got a grass roots movement going. It is disgusting to see the likes of Sarah Silverman telling Bernie's supporters they are "Being Ridiculous!" I think if I were a Bernie supporter I would have been furious at the gall it took to make a remark like that. Her tone was as if she were talking to misbehaving children.
It was disgusting to hear Elizabeth Warren telling the crowd that the political system is "rigged" in favor of the powerful and than Bernie reminds us of what "Democrats fight for everyday." Does she not see the irony of that statement? How did it not dawn on her that in this particularly "rigged" situation many in that crowd felt like it was Hillary who was the "Powerful" that they were fighting against?
It was clearly evident to me that even the democratic party is fed up with the same old backwater politics, the secrecy, the manipulation, the greed and the condescending-sidetalking-hollow promises-making-establishment candidates that have been the norm for decades. Just like those on the Republican side seem to be.


No comments: