Monday, June 8, 2015

Monday's Matter FHE: Be Brave Chicken Little

At our house, and millions of others around the globe, Monday evenings are reserved for family.  A Family Home Evening (FHE) where we can be silly and funny and reverent and grow together in the gospel.



This past Saturday marked the 71st anniversary of the D-Day Invasion on the beaches of Normandy.  Here at the Aussie and the Owl, we love history and try and take special care to remember important historical events where service, sacrifice and love of country were exemplified.  On Saturday we listened to and discussed THIS SPEECH by then President Ronald Reagan on the 40th anniversary of D-Day.

"Learning the lessons of the past allows you to walk boldly in the light without running the risk of stumbling in the darkness. This is the way it’s supposed to work. This is God’s plan: father and mother, grandfather and grandmother teaching their children; children learning from them and then becoming a more righteous generation through their own personal experiences and opportunities. Learning the lessons of the past allows you to build personal testimony on a solid bedrock of obedience, faith, and the witness of the Spirit."
~M. Russell Ballard, April 2009


Time for FHE!!  Yippy!

I'd like to welcome everyone out to Family Home Evening!!!!

{Opening Song}  America the Beautiful   If you only sing one verse let it be #3


{Opening Prayer}Let's have the biggest, strongest person pray
(If you are unsure - the only way to settle it is with a pre-prayer arm wrestling match)

{LESSON - Read, Watch, Discuss}

Recently my aunt was a guest on a local Wellness TV show where they talked about anxiety and stress stemming from fear.  We know that many times in the scriptures we are admonished in different ways to be courageous or be not afraid. And that got me thinking...



What does that mean?

How do we do that?

First lets start with some definitions:  SHOUT it out!

What is STRESS?

What is ANXIETY?

What is FEAR?



Now, WATCH THIS...

The Old Shoemaker (The Mormon Channel)

Matthew 25: 35-36 
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
 36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
This is the way we love perfectly, as the Savior loves, by being His hands and taking care of others.

Perfect Love...

Okay.  I know what you are thinking another FHE lesson about "love"? what good is Perfect Love to me?

What can I do with "Perfect Love"?

Does it make me cookies?  Can it help me work that crazy cable TV remote control? Will it fold the laundry?

Well.  No. But...

Did you know that it can cast out anxiety's ugly cousin, Fear??  You know, like, banish it!



Henceforth, I declare this house fear free!

Don't believe me?

Check out 1 John 4:18

The Virtue of Captain Moroni
{Print OR Watch}
Print this out, divide up the reading and have everyone pick out some of their favorite stories or quotes from THIS DEVOTIONAL about casting out fear with perfect love.
OR, hey, just watch the whole thing and enjoy it!

"...my first personal experience with the principle taught in the scriptures that “perfect love casteth out fear.” I learned to rely on my Heavenly Father. His unending love for me gave me the strength to overcome my homesickness. President Hinckley once declared, “How great and magnificent is the power of love to overcome fear and doubt, worry and discouragement” (God hath Not Given Us the Spirit of Fear, October 1984)...
Our trials and fears may come in different degrees, but it’s how we stand up to face them that counts instead of allowing fear to drag us down. We also should not judge people based on their trials and fears. What may seem a very trivial trial to one person may feel like a very difficult trial to the one experiencing it. Regardless of the trial’s size or intensity, it’s the power of love that can help us through it. Perfect love casteth out fear."
Recently, after thinking on these things, when I find myself feeling stressed or anxious I ask myself what I am afraid of?  Sometimes it helps to just be able to identify what the fear is and then I can work on how to use love to snuff it out (who knew "Perfect Love" was such a gangsta?)'
So that is my FHE challenge for you this week.  When you find yourself feeling stressed or anxious figure out what you are afraid of.  One step at a time. You can do it!


{Closing Song} How Can I Be   Lyrics HERE

{Closing Prayer} Who is brave enough?

{Activity} TABOO!!!!

If you have never played Taboo before it is a game where you are assigned a word to try and make your team guess but there are a list of words you may NOT use to describe the word because they are taboo.  You just need to print these cards, split into teams, get yourself a timer, have some sort of buzzer (or someone who can make an awesome buzzer noise) and let the good times roll!

You can find directions and the printable gospel based Taboo cards HERE from FHE Lessons at WordPress.com.

And, of course, you could always settle in and watch Chicken Little!


{FHE Doesn't Have to be Perfect, It Just has to BE!}






No comments: