Monday, April 13, 2015

Monday's Matter FHE: For When I am Weak, Then am I Strong

At our home and millions of others around the globe Monday nights are reserved for family.  A Family Home Evening (FHE) where everyone can take a moment or two and focus on each other and those things that matter most.

FHE has been a real challenge lately as our schedules have been opposite but we do try and I think that makes all the difference.  Never stop trying.  Never give up.  Sometimes it will work and sometimes it might not and that is okay.

I don't know about you but I am not perfect.  No matter how hard I try I always end up failing at something or maybe everything.  That is why I love 2 Corinthians 12:9-10.

That is what I wanted to do for FHE tonight; Talk about why weaknesses are really our strengths!

So...I'd like to welcome everyone out to Family Home Evening!!



{Opening Song} : The Wise Man and the Foolish Man

Opening Prayer}:  I'll do it!  Extra blessings for me!

{Read and Discuss}  Excerpts taken from Gospel Doctrine.com (FYI: I don't know what else they have on their site, I just looked up these quotes and found them all in one handy-dandy location).

2 Cor. 12:9 my strength is made perfect in weakness

"The truth is that we were born into an imperfect state in a fallen world. We chafe against our imperfection, but we cannot completely eradicate our humanity in this life. Here power is an attribute of God, not of man. We were created weak so that we would turn to the only source that could develop real spiritual stamina in us. Moroni recorded his conversation with the Lord on this subject in Ether 12:23-37. He feared that the Gentiles would not accept the precious records because of the weaknesses in their writing. (Ether 12:25.) The Lord comforted him with this wonderful principle: 'My grace is sufficient for the meek, that they shall take no advantage of your weakness; and if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they . . . have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.' (Ether 12:26-27.) When the Lord told the Apostle Paul, 'My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness,' Paul declared, 'Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.' (2 Cor. 12:9.)" (Catherine Thomas, Studies in Scripture, Vol. 8: Alma 30 to Moroni, ed. by Kent P. Jackson, [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1988], 277.)

Dallin H. Oaks
"...if we face up to our individual adversities or hardships, they can become a source of blessing. God will not give us adversities we cannot handle, and he will bless us richly for patiently doing the best we can in the circumstances.

"Elaine Cannon reminds us of an important way these blessings come and how we can make the most of them. 'When we are pushed, stung, defeated, embarrassed, hurt, rejected, tormented, forgotten-when we are in agony of spirit crying out `why me?` we are in a position to learn something' (Adversity, 47).

"The Apostle Paul demonstrated his understanding of that principle and provided a wonderful example of how to act upon it. Paul had what he called 'a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me' (2 Cor. 12:7). He prayed for the Lord to take that thorn from him, but the Lord replied: 'My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness' (2 Cor. 12:9). Having received that answer, faithful Paul then said he would 'glory in [his] infirmities' (2 Cor. 12:9). 'Therefore,' he said, 'I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong' (2 Cor. 12:10).

"Elder Marvin J. Ashton of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles gave a modern example of this in a conference address some years ago. He quoted a young friend who lost his hand when it was crushed in a hydraulic press.

"During the first night there were thoughts of 'Why me? Was it something in my past? What have I done to deserve this?' Then I thought, 'No more rodeo, football, or skiing,' and I wondered what type of a woman would want a one-handed husband."

"Then came a fast Sunday when this young man gathered the courage to thank everyone for their prayers in his behalf. He later recalled:

'After the testimony meeting, an admired friend gave me a special blessing. So many questions were answered during his blessing. He told me this accident was not punishment for anything I had done but, rather, an opportunity to help me become a better person and to amplify those particular traits which needed to be developed. He shared the thought that this challenge could make me more understanding of people, problems, and life. As I look back now, each point of his blessing and encouragement has helped in a very fulfilling way.'

"The young man concluded: 'Today as I look back, I see the challenge of adversity as something upon which to build' ("Adversity and You," Ensign, Nov. 1980, 59)." ("Adversity," Ensign, July 1998, 10, 12)

James E. Faust
"Here, then, is a great truth. In the pain, the agony, and the heroic endeavors of life, we pass through a refiner's fire, and the insignificant and the unimportant in our lives can melt away like dross and make our faith bright, intact, and strong. In this way the divine image can be mirrored from the soul. This pain is part of the purging toll exacted of some to become acquainted with God. In the agonies of life, we seem to listen better to the faint godly whisperings of the Divine Shepherd.

"Into every life there come the painful, despairing days of adversity and buffeting. There seems to be a full measure of anguish, sorrow, and often heartbreak for everyone, including those who earnestly seek to do right and be faithful. The apostle Paul referred to his own challenge: 'And lest I should be exalted above measure . . . there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.' (2 Corinthians 12:7.)

"The thorns that prick, that stick in the flesh, that hurt-these often change lives that may seem robbed of significance and hope. This change comes about through a refining process that often seems cruel and hard. In this way the soul can become like soft clay in the hands of the Master in building lives of faith, usefulness, beauty, and strength. For some, the refiner's fire causes a loss of belief and faith in God, but those with eternal perspective understand that such refining is part of the perfection process." (To Reach Even unto You [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1980], 98.)



2 Cor. 12:10 when I am weak, then am I strong

Elder Charles A. Callis
"We are walking in the path of humility, and God is making us a power for good in the world. After all, brethren and sisters, there is more strength in the humility that comes from trusting in the Lord Jesus than in the strength of worldly power. 'When I am weak,' said Paul, 'then am I strong.' So long as the Latter-day Saints put their trust in God; so long as they walk in the light, they will be clothed with a power that is invincible." (Conference Report, April 1911, Overflow Meeting. 80.

You can find more information about turning those weaknesses into strengths by visiting this lady's blog HERE.

There is also a great Popular Science article HERE about making building materials stronger by punching holes in them.  Who knew?


{Closing Prayer}:  Wanna go two for two?



{Activity}: Funny Face OFF!!!! 

(If you are unfamiliar with this game you can see a bit of it played HERE)

Basically, you google and print out (or just show ) a few (3 or 4) pictures of kids making funny faces. Then everyone tries to make the same funny face as the photo.  Whomever gets closest wins! Hilarious.

Be sure and take pictures!

{FHE Doesn't Have to Be Perfect, It Just Has to BE!}




No comments: