Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Adventures in Infertility #82

#82  Lofty Goals for Barren in General Conference

Often, during church talks or Conference addresses the issue of being unable to have children is spoken of. Usually lumped in with other downtrodden souls.

The Single
The Barren
The Ill

Sounds like a party right?

All are often counseled to remain faithful and hopeful.  The feeling I often get is of caring leaders feeling sorry for the situation and offering what help and guidance they can.  A good message, to be sure, but I always long for more and on Sunday October 5, 2014  I got just what I had been hoping for!!

It was just what I never knew I always wanted to hear.

During the Sunday Morning Session of the October 2014 General Conference, President Thomas S Monson was the concluding speaker and during the course of his talk he spoke about Gustav and Margarit Walker (bear with me on the names, they haven't published the written talk yet so I had to guess at the spelling).

They were German immigrants to Easter Canada.



They had limited means but "Shared all they had"
"Nurtured all who entered their home"

"Men and women of learning and sophistication sought out these humble, unlearned servants of God and counted themselves fortunate if they could spend and hour in their presence."

They did not "do any of the things with which the world pays attention"

The "Faithful beat a path to their door."
Their "home was a Heaven on earth and the spirit that radiated was of pure peace and goodness"

And, oh yeah, they "were not blessed with children" (Which was only mentioned in passing and NOT the point of story).

This message was music to my soul!  How wonderful to hear of a couple who, even without children of their own, were able to make a positive difference in this world.  Not to be pitied but to admired.  To be men and women that were not defined by their reproductive weaknesses but by the strength of their faith!

There are so many reasons I want to be like these two people, so many good goals to work on, so many, many things we can improve upon in our own lives.

What a wonderful example are the Walkers for us to follow!

{PONDER THE PATH OF THY FEET}

You can listen to the talk at THIS LINK




*Laughter is the best medicine right?  Why not laugh at my infertility?!  I do not mean to offend with any of these posts, it is just a way to let go a little and see the humor in our situation. Please laugh with me!

No comments: