Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Adventures in Infertility #80

#80  Can I Lick Your French Fry?
and Other Life Lessons



In recent weeks my hubby has embarked on some life changing eating habits.  He has cut out fast and processed foods.  He has been exercising and eating right. It is with seeming ease that he "runs the gauntlet" of delicious, greasy, food chains after a long day of teaching and doesn't even pause, eager to come home to salad and chicken.  But it wasn't always this way, friends.

You see, at the beginning of his journey, we had a lunch together that I will never forget.

We had gone to the University so he could sign his semester contracts and decided to stop for lunch on the way home.

In and Out Burger loomed heavy on the horizon, delicious smells wafting from it's open, welcoming doors.  We could eat there, we decided.  He would get a cheeseburger, single patty, thankyouverymuch, protein style.  I would get a cheeseburger and fries, since I rarely eat out.

As we settled into our shiny red seats with our plastic boxes of food.  We chatted about the upcoming school year and enjoyed our food.  I am not much of a fast food eater and was full leaving most of my fries in their basket.  I could see him eyeing them.

Soon his stolen glances at my golden fries were distracting him from the conversation.

I could see the longing in his eyes.

He gently asked if he might, perhaps, smell one of my fries.

"Just a smell, that's all I need" he assured himself.

Eyeing him warily, I reluctantly passed him a fry.

He let it linger under his nose as he drew in the salty, steamy scent.

In his eyes I recognized the lust.

"Just a lick." He said to no one in particular.

"WAIT!"  I yelled, " YOU CAN'T LICK that french fry.  It will only make you want to eat it." (I wonder what the other diners thought of us?)

"Don't be ridiculous.  I'm not going to eat it" he defended.  Giving me a look of derision as he proceeded to lick the french fry up one side and down the other.  Keeping eye contact with me the whole time.

"This is just like chastity!" I spouted.
"You can't get that close to the line!!"  I warned.
"Kissing leads to french fry licking!!!"  I pronounced

We both doubled over with laughter.  I'm sure the other diners thought we were crazy but that didn't matter to us.  As the great Walt Disney once said, "Laughter is no enemy to learning."  And everyday we are learning how to be the best "we" we can be.



*Laughter is the best medicine right?  Why not laugh at my infertility?!  I do not mean to offend with any of these posts, it is just a way to let go a little and see the humor in our situation. Please laugh with me!

No comments: