Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Adventures in Infertility #62

#62 Dumb Blonde Moments in Infertility History



Despite not having a Masters degree in Physics like the Aussie, I still like to think that  I am a pretty smart girl.  4.2 GPA in High School, 4.0 in college majoring in foreign languages, graduated with honors and I can cook like nobody's business but sometimes I am down right dumb.

When we were first married we lived in my favorite apartment EVER.  It was a second floor, 2 bedroom beauty with a wrap around deck overlooking the pool and the wooded walkway.  No one else ever opened their blinds so we took full advantage and had ours open to the beautiful treetop views all day long.  I wasn't working and we were in the middle of our first rounds of infertility testing.

It was a crisp, fall morning and I was walking back from the mailbox when a cute, little, curly haired girl on a tricycle road up to me and yelled "HI!"  in her loudest outside voice.  She was adorable and funny.  The kind of kid that makes you smile and remember all the reasons why you are going through all that infernal infertility testing to begin with.

As she squinted up at me, her mother came sprinting over. Overweight and out of breath she too squinted at me.  With a curled lip and a wheeze she said, "I always thought it was 'Bring-em Young University.'"

It took me a second to realize she was referring to my Brigham Young University sweatshirt (a cozy, worn out thing from who knows where. I didn't go to BYU but I sure loved that sweatshirt!).



Looking down at the letters across my chest and trying to be helpful to this obviously confused woman, I pointed out to her, on my sweatshirt, that, indeed it was, BRIGHAM YOUNG University.

"No.  It is Bring-em Young!" she barked as she grabbed her daughters hand and dragged her,with her legs still clinging to her tricycle, away.  Confused at her confusion and anger I tried again.

"BrigHAM, Brigham Young, he was a man.....the school was named after him..."  I trailed off as they left.  The little girl waved with her free arm and I waved back and went upstairs.

Later that day it dawned on me that she was probably trying to insult me.  It must not have helped that I smiled and tried to be sweet and helpful to her.  Oh well.  Sometimes being dumb is a good thing!

I blame the infertility.



*Laughter is the best medicine right?  Why not laugh at my infertility?!  I do not mean to offend with any of these posts, it is just a way to let go a little and see the humor in our situation. Please laugh with me!

No comments: