Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Adventures in Infertility #60

#60 The Hot Dog Story



When we first got married, many years ago, I had this idea of what a perfect wife did and looked like and accomplished during the day while her husband was at work.

I dutifully cleaned our apartment, I grocery shopped, I decorated and rearranged furniture (and re-rearranged furniture only to rearrange it back to the original configuration) and I cooked, all while working full time.

I wanted to be the BEST wife EVER!!  Just like Betty Crocker or Mrs Sees but hotter ;)



In an effort to prepare for our future family I lobbied hard to eat dinner at the table every night instead of in front of the TV.  I carefully laid out the argument that when kids came along we would want to them to eat at the table with us so we should start the habit now.  My husband bought into it (I WON!!) and we began eating dinner at the table.

I'm sure being a newly wed was a big adjustment for my sweet husband. Just like any other couple who never lived together until after they were married. I tried to make the transition easy for him by cooking a different, delicious meal every night. I made homemade lasagnas and rolls, steak and potatoes, stuffed chicken breasts, tacos, you name it I cooked it.

One night I slaved away making Chicken Cordon Bleu. It was glorious.  Julia Child would have been proud!

When we sat down to eat my husband had a sad face.  After asking him what was wrong, he reluctantly asked if we could just have Hot Dogs next time.

Hot Dogs?

Hot dogs!

Hot dogs?

At first I was offended but then I saw it.  Do you see? It was too much.  He wasn't ungrateful but he just wanted the comforts of home.  Hot dogs and TV.

Fast forward 14 years and with no kids we regularly sit in front of the TV for dinner and eat whatever we want, including hot dogs not me!.  He's pretty comfortable now.  So I guess it's not all bad right?


This life can be crazy and so unfair it makes me weep.  Sometimes I lament a lot of things about it but I am so thankful that I get to go through it all with my sweet husband.  Grateful for his kind words and his gentle touch, grateful for his quick whit and unfailing humor.  He is my comfort from home, the only part of my life I couldn't do without.


*Laughter is the best medicine right?  Why not laugh at my infertility?!  I do not mean to offend with any of these posts, it is just a way to let go a little and see the humor in our situation. Please laugh with me!

1 comment:

Mo-Reen said...

I love this story! You are an awesome couple!