Wednesday, May 14, 2014

What's For Dinner Wednesday: Chicken Pot Pie for Two


I recently acquired bought at a yard sale some Pyrex individual casserole dishes and have been looking for any excuse to use them.  Sunday, I decided to make some individual pot pies, which meant double duty because I had already agreed to make my husband's favorite Spicy Honey Chicken and corn on the cob, but all my hard work was rewarded with the most amazing Chicken Pot Pie I have ever made!  It is creamy and delicious, with tender veggies, flavorful chicken breasts and a flaky brown top crust. And when I was done, I had enough crust leftover to make an individual apple pie!

Ingredients (Makes 2 Pies):

1 Recipe Pate Brisee (Martha Stewart's is the BEST) I did not refrigerate mine before I used it but the doesn't mean you can't.


  • 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 large potato, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 large chicken breast, skin and bone removed, cut into same size pieces as the veggies
  • 1 C fresh or Frozen Peas
  • 1 Can Cream of Chicken
  • 1 C Sour Cream
  • Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder to taste
  • 2 sprigs fresh tyme, stems removed
  • 1 TBS olive Oil
  • 2 TBS butter

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

In large cast skillet melt butter and oil.
Add potatoes and carrots and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until tender and slightly browned.
Add chicken to skillet and cook until browned (does not have to be done, it will finish in the oven).
Season with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
Add cream of chicken soup and sour cream, reduce heat and stir until well combined.
Stir in peas and thyme leaves and remove from heat.

Roll out pate brisee, flip your individual pot pie pans over and cut a circle in dough about a 1/2" bigger than top of pie pan.

Flip pie pans back over and fill with pot pie filling.  
Top with crust, making sure to crimp edges to pie pan and cut a few vent holes in the top.

Place on cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until crust is done and filling is bubbling.

Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes before serving.

{Quotes to Cook By}



Since as far back as I can remember, watching my mom and dad make pies together every fall as a young boy, I have simply loved pie. I can't really explain why. If one loves poetry, or growing orchids, or walking along the beach at sunset, the why isn't all that important. To me, pie is poetry that makes the world a better place.” 




“We must have a pie. Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie.” 



“People don't know how chickens can turn on you, but they can -- just like mad dogs.” 





No comments: