Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Adventures in Infertility #56

#56 The Dress Debacle of 2014

I can't help but laugh.

Standing amongst all the racks of clothes at Target, I have tried on literally EVERY dress they have in stock on the women's side of the store.  And guess what?  They are all either too short, hitting well above my kneecap. Scandalous! Or they are lacking sleeves which means to wear it and feel comfortable I would need to wear a shirt under it adding extra bulk and/or a cardigan over it adding extra heat.

Nothing makes an infertile girl feel better about herself than strutting around in her new dress while looking like she has gained 5lbs and also like she is about to sweat out 5 lbs.

Flop.
Sweats.

That's what I'm having after being crammed in that infernal dressing room with the back to back mirrors and bad lighting.  My toe touched something icky on the floor in there, it may have been a slug.

I frantically scan the racks looking for one dress, just one.  That's all I need.  Just something to wear to church, something casual enough to wear out on a date with my husband.

Then, across the room, I spot it. I don't know how I could have missed it.  It is a blue and white stripped gem, a nod to the nautical, fancy free, sensational summer months to come.  It has short sleeves and looks, from this distance, to at least go to my knee.  My hope soars!

I practically dance my way between the racks towards it, sweat stinging my eyes, I brush the sticky hair from my face and touch the fabric.  It is a cotton dress, with a little bit of lycra for stretch.  It is a perfect dress.

I skip to the dressing room (careful to select one without a slug on the floor) and try it on.  It fits like a glove.  The length is perfect and the sleeves make me feel comfortable.  There is a tiny bit of weird ruching on the sides but it is hardly noticeable. A small price to pay for such a lovely dress.  A dress that makes me feel lovely.

I head to the check stand to make my triumphant purchase, the air conditioning cooling my flushed cheeks and billowing my hair behind me.  I pass the rack with my lovely dress on it and then I see it.

MATERNITY

The dress is from the maternity section.



I bought it anyway.  I wore it the first Sunday home.  I spotted at least two vastly pregnant girls in my ward wearing the exact same dress that Sunday.  We all looked FAnTasTiC!

*Laughter is the best medicine right?  Why not laugh at my infertility?!  I do not mean to offend with any of these posts, it is just a way to let go a little and see the humor in our situation. Please laugh with me!

1 comment:

Sharee and Arthur said...

ha!! Love it! Target has some super cute maternity stuff that I've considered buying while not pregnant also. :) Glad you did it anyway!!