Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Adventures in Infertility #51

#51 Chocolate Covered Kindness



This year, I was excited about Mother's Day.  Which doesn't really happen.

My mom isn't really "around" and my husband's mother passed away of cancer years ago.  Sure we know plenty of great mom's but the day is always a little bit...underwhelming and sad for us.  We miss our moms, we miss not being able to have kids...underwhelming and sad.

But this year!  This year I was actually excited.  I can't tell you how much being able to talk to someone (you, dear reader) about my adventures in infertility has helped me.  I had no dread about attending a 3 hour block of church focused on motherhood, I had no awkward feelings regarding how to respond to all the "I'm so sorry"s I usually hear on this day.  I just felt...Good.  Normal.  Hopeful?  Except I have a terrible, phlegm filled, chest cold that makes me cough like a smoker.

My sweet and caring husband, after calling me Doc Holiday listening to me cough like Doc Holiday all night long, suggested that we stay away from church as not to get other's sick and to rest up, but I just couldn't.  We had missed the week before because  we were on a family trip to Disneyland and I couldn't miss two weeks in a row and I didn't want others to think we felt sorry for ourselves or our situation.  So we went. At least for the first hour.

**Don't worry** we sat in the back and I didn't shake anyone's hand, I coughed A LOT during the meeting (stupid, useless, cough drops) so people got the idea I wasn't feeling well and stayed away.  But boy am I glad I went!!

Not only were the speakers fantastic, the primary kids adorable and the pews filled with mom's and daughters but I got CHOCOLATE!  Well, to be fair, every woman got chocolate.  A beautiful, individually boxed See's Candy.  But I got EXTRA Chocolate.

A good friend of mine found me at the beginning of the meeting and gave me a King Sized Symphony bar.  I couldn't believe my eyes!  I mean, I know I said it would be nice but I never, in a million years expected anyone to bring me chocolate.  It made me feel so special.

The Bishop came over and chatted with me *I told him I was sick and coughed for proof* he told me he had a little something for me at the end of the meeting.  It made me feel so special.

After the meeting had ended, and we were singing the closing hymn, the youth came around to pass out chocolates to all the women of the ward who were "out of high school."

**This part I usually dread.  It just makes me feel so sorry for myself**

But you know what? I was excited to receive the gift!

The bishop's son came over and wished me a "Happy Mother's Day" and handed me an individually wrapped See's chocolate AND a GIANT Hershey's Chocolate Bar.  I'm telling you, besides my wedding day, MOST. EXCITING. DAY. OF. MY. LIFE.  Not just because of the chocolates and the kindness they represent but because I didn't spend Mother's Day feeling sorry for our situation.

It is amazing what a few simple acts of kindness can do.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Y'all are wonderful.

*Laughter is the best medicine right?  Why not laugh at my infertility?!  I do not mean to offend with any of these posts, it is just a way to let go a little and see the humor in our situation. Please laugh with me!

No comments: