Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Adventures in Infertility #49

#49  It's Called "Mother's Day" not "Mothering Day"



In our ward, on Mother's Day, at the end of our Sacrament meeting, just before Sunday School starts, the Bishop asks all the women 18 yrs and older to please stand to be honored with a little gift.  It has usually been an individually wrapped chocolate, a beautiful little token of appreciation for all the women of congregation.  And although it makes me a little upset, I know they are just trying to be nice and so I am grateful.  After all, they day is to honor Mothers, not "those who have mothered."  If it was the same thing then why do so many aspire to have babies, to be mothers, if babysitting or teaching kids in Sunday school or being an aunt or uncle is exactly the same as having our own kids?

I guess it would be a little awkward if they called out (in my head I hear Oprah's voice) "You get a chocolate!" "You get a chocolate!"  "You get a chocolate!"  "NOT you barren girls!"  "But YOU baby makers and adopters, you get a chocolate."  I am grateful.  Really.  But you know, I think the gift for mothers and for the barren should be different.  Might I suggest something that will last me through the 3 hour block? Maybe something, a little bit like this....






*Laughter is the best medicine right?  Why not laugh at my infertility?!  I do not mean to offend with any of these posts, it is just a way to let go a little and see the humor in our situation. Please laugh with me!

No comments: