Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Adventures in Infertility #45

#45  HAT-red

Kids can just tell that I am not a mom.  Babies cry when I hold them, toddlers toddle away from me and children...well children do this...

A few years a go a good friend of mine had baby #4.  Her husband was serving on the Stake High Council (for those of you not of our faith, that is a rotating group called to serve throughout the whole geographical area known as a "Stake" not just in their local geographically based "wards").  She called one Sunday morning to ask if we wouldn't mind picking up her three boys for church that day so she could stay home with the baby and her husband could attend to his responsibilities. We were happy to help and came to collect the boys excited to have them with us that day...kind of like rent a family for church!

After the opening hymn and prayer and sacrament hymn we were all sitting quietly in a pew waiting for the sacrament to come to us.  The boys were coloring quietly and the littlest one, on the far end of his brothers, passed a note to me.  I took it smiling at him, excited that my "family" for a day was working out so well!  I could only imagine what was in the note...maybe a picture of the 5 of us smiling and holding hands?  Maybe it was a heart!  Maybe a little thank-you note for picking them up today so they could go to church.

I eagerly unfolded the slip of paper, a joyful smile on my face, my self-confidence as a would-be parent soaring!  Inside was a short note...

"I HAT YOU!"

Being just a wee one he had left off the "E" but the I knew what he meant.  I stifled a giggle and showed my husband who had to cover his mouth not to laugh during this most reverent of times. Which, of course, made the little guy furious.  I passed it back with a quiet whisper, "You forgot the "E"."

*Laughter is the best medicine right?  Why not laugh at my infertility?!  I do not mean to offend with any of these posts, it is just a way to let go a little and see the humor in our situation. Please laugh with me!

No comments: