Wednesday, March 19, 2014

What's For Dinner Wednesday: German Potato Salad



Left-Over Make-Over!  Hot German Potato Salad

I always seem to make extra baked potatoes.  Sometimes I use them in the mornings for fried potatoes or in cheesy Funeral Potatoes.  Other times, I'm not sure what to do with them.  One thing is for sure, they are never as fluffy the second day.  

After church on Sunday I was standing in-front of the open refrigerator wondering what I could throw together for a quick dinner between meetings.  Then it dawned on me!  I could make a hot German potato salad.  And 20 minutes later it was on the table along with sandwiches and a fruit salad.  Too bad I didn't have any 'wurst in the fridge.

*A lot of other recipes call for a thickening agent like flour but I feel like the left over baked potatoes create enough thickness on their own.

Ingredients:

4 strips of bacon
1/2 medium Red Onion minced
2 ribs of celery diced
1 bunch of dill, bottom stems removed and fronds minced
1/2 - 2/3 C apple cider vinegar
1/4 C olive oil
1 tsp salt (or more for taste)
1-2 TBS sugar (to taste)
4 Cups peeled (as best as you can), sliced, left over baked potatoes 

Directions:

In large skillet cook bacon strips until crisp, remove bacon, leaving bacon grease in pan.

Add potato slices to hot, bacon greased pan.  Cook, stirring often (it is okay if your slices break apart into smaller pieces, they are supposed to do that!) until heated up.

Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine onion, celery, dill, 1/2 C cider vinegar, olive oil, salt and 1 TBS of sugar.
Whisk until combined.

Add hot potatoes to vinegar mixture.  Stir well.  

Taste.  You may want to add the additional salt, sugar and/or vinegar depending on your preferences.  I like mine with a lot of vinegar!

Mince crisp cooked bacon and add to mixture.  Stir.  Let sit for a few minutes and serve warm.

{QUOTES TO COOK BY}

“I wish my stove came with a Save As button like Word has. That way I could experiment with my cooking and not fear ruining my dinner.
” 



“Calvin: Why are you crying mom?
Mom: I'm cutting up an onion.
Calvin: It must be hard to cook if you anthrpomorphisize your vegetables.” 



“Always start out with a larger pot than what you think you need.” 

No comments: