Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Adventures in Infertility #33

#33 Dining Out (ie Sports Talk)

Remember that song from Sesame Street?  You know the one that goes, "One of these things is not like the others.  One of these things just doesn't belong."?


I hum that song to myself sometimes when we are going out to dinner with friends.  Sometimes I feel like the thing that "doesn't belong" at the dinner table.  Butter?  Good!  Meat?  Good!  Friends?  Good!  Infertile who has nothing to contribute to the potty training/dealing with elementary school teachers conversation? 

Not 
so 
good.

Everybody wants to BELONG somewhere, to have a group they can relate to.  Probably why gangs are so popular.  Hey! we should start the East Side Infertiles and we can go around bedazzling onesies and overturning sippy cups!  ;)

Over the years, like the Stink Bug, I have developed my own self- preservation methods.  They may not be pleasant but they get the job done.  The one that works the best is SPORTS TALK!  



I may not be able to fake knowing how painful it is to breastfeed when the baby has teeth or know how to help get a back-talking kid to stay in time-out and lets be honest, no one wants parenting advice from someone who is not a parent  with the mom side of the table.

So instead, I fake sports talk with the man side of the table.  Grant it, my lack of in-depth knowledge probably has them all rolling their eyes BUT they are too nice to say anything.  And so I blissfully doled out inaccurate baseball stats, basketball rankings and football commentary until I found this website Women Can Talk SPORTS!  Dedicated entirely to a race of women who want to weasel their way into the man talk at the table and not make a fool out of themselves!  I'm sure it was started by an infertile.  That's one more member for my gang!

Plus baseball greats have said some awesome things over the years that apply to infertility:

“It ain't over 'til it's over.” 
― Yogi Berra

“Every strike brings me closer to the next home run.” 
― Babe Ruth

“Never allow the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game!” 
― Babe Ruth



*Laughter is the best medicine right?  Why not laugh at my infertility?!  I do not mean to offend with any of these posts, it is just a way to let go a little and see the humor in our situation. Please laugh with me!

No comments: