Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Adventures in Infertility #13

#13 "Well Good For You Honey!"



Yesterday I counted.
5 times.
5 times I was asked by a total stranger if I had children.
5 times I gave my standard answer...an ultra cool "Nope."
5 times I then got asked if I was married.  "Yep."
5 times I got what I interpreted as a judgmental silence.
5 times I put on my best smile and said we have been trying with no luck.
5 times I got advice and support and suggestions.

Here are the 5 from yesterday:

#1.They Said: "Well Good for you honey!  Not everybody needs kids to make them happy!"
      I Said:  Nothing.  I smiled and left the room.  What do you say to that?  Thank you very much Miss Lippy!

#2. They Said: "My sister tried for a year to get pregnant, then she adopted and they have had 5 kids since then."
      I Said: Well, that is wonderful I'm so glad you know just how I've been feeling!

#3  They Said:  "You know, a friend of mine couldn't get pregnant and then she drank a gallon of Aloe Vera juice a day for 6 months and wouldn't 'cha know it?  She got pregnant!"
      I Said:  Well that sounds stupid, disgusting, awful like something I should try!

#4 They Said:  "Well we had 4 kids honey and believe me it was no picnic.  Just enjoy your time together"
      I Said:  We do. What we don't enjoy is being infertile and spending all our money on being infertile so we enjoy our time together at McDonalds instead of Chez Expensive and Romantic Restaurant.

#5 They Said:  "You just need a nice long vacation."
      I Said:  Amen Sista!


Truthfully, even though I am sometimes annoyed by the comments others make to me I feel like it all boils down to them caring about me.  Even strangers, I think, offer advice because they want to help.  They want to help me feel better and beside the one old lady who told me, "Maybe you have some unrepented of sin you might need to see your Bishop about?"  I am not offended.  I am uplifted that in this fast paced world people still pause and try and find words of comfort however stupid for someone who is struggling with something.


 *Laughter is the best medicine right?  Why not laugh at my infertility?!  I do not mean to offend with any of these posts, it is just a way to let go a little and see the humor in our situation. Please laugh with me!

No comments: