Friday, September 9, 2011

Pourin' Like an Avalance Comin' Down the Mountain

We've all had those times where the old adage "When it Rains, it pours" exemplifies the place we are currently in life. I won't lie, I have been feeling like that recently. What with being in a new city, without our family or our friends, living in a hotel for 3 months waiting for training to end so our life can begin. With my mother going from campground to jail to basically homeless and out of contact with everyone, with the opportunity to adopt a beautiful baby boy slipping through our fingers all the while searching frantically for a place in L.A. that we can afford to rent. I know that many of our friends and family are going through similar rough times and for that matter so is most of the country. I feel bad just typing complaints because I'm afraid it makes me seem ungrateful for the things we do have. Sometimes I hope for better days but then I remember a quote from Marjorie Paye Hinkley:

"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead."


So, today, I got up early and fixed my hair and make-up, put on a nice outfit and a scarf I knitted

And I thought about the things I am grateful for, and why these are the best days, not be wished away. We have a sort of family motto in our household and it goes like this...

We can not direct the wind but we can adjust the sails
and I feel the winds of change a blowin' :)

4 comments:

Andy & Mindy said...

Outstanding! You are always looking on the brighter side of life. If it's okay with you can I share your story at my next stake YW presidency meeting? I think your inspiring!!!!

Kat said...

Love you amber, you are the greatest! And you beautiful in these pictures, as you always are. Did you cut your hair? It looks so cute!

Anonymous said...

Habakkuk 3:17-19 Though the fig tree may not blossom, Nor fruit be on the vines, Though the labor of the olive may fail,And the fields yield no food; Though the flock may be cut off from the fold, And there be no herd in the stalls-Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength; He will make my feet like deer's feet, And He will make me walk on my high hills.
No matter what Jesus, our God Almighty Himself is with us, even on days you feel all alone and it is to dark to see the path set before you,you must continue on- because He knows the way and is waiting to guide you through. You are so very much loved Amber and Mike. This will all be worth it, have fun on your journey. Finney's

Sharee and Arthur said...

That's right, Amber, the winds of change are blowing! We love you guys and pray for you, and also, I think you look amazing with your cute hair and lovely scarf that you knitted. :)