Saturday, November 20, 2010

Isabelle

(Hanging around the BBQ - one of her favorite activites)

Yesterday our sweet doggie Isabelle died. She was 16 years old and had been our family pet for more than half of my life. She came to us when my mom worked for Stanislaus County Animal Control. She had gone out on an animal abuse call and found a sweet, starving, beaten, scared puppy that she didn't have the heart to take to the pound. This little puppy and I loved eachother from the beginning. I would take her for walks and she loved to climb into my lap anytime I sat down, even when she grew into a large adult dog. She loved to be in the front yard where neighbors would stop and pet her and children would play with her (and on her).


You can learn a lot from a dog. Isabelle taught me about living each day with unbridled exuberance and joy, about seizing the moment and following your heart. She taught me to appreciate the simple things-a walk around the block, sitting in the summer warmth, a nap in a shaft of winter sunlight. And as she grew old and achy, she taught me about optimism in the face of adversity. Mostly, she taught me about friendship and selflessness and, above all else, unwavering loyalty. (Marley & Me)

(Watching everyone carve pumpkins last year)

"Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day. It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them"
— John Grogan


The Nicest Old Gal On The Block

2 comments:

Sharee and Arthur said...

Oh, I"m sorry Amber. I'm glad she was part of your life for so long. This post kind of makes me want to get a dog. kind of. don't ever tell Daphne I said that.

lee04031 said...

It's so sad when you lose a dog that you are attached to But it's great that you were able to learn so much from her. She really did look so sweet!