The new meat grinder attachment to our Kitchenaid Mixer arrived a few weeks ago and so I made my own sausage for this soup. It allowed me to control the amount and quality of ingredients and I was able to use a lean cut of meat which meant less fat.
I hope you get a chance to try this one - it is excellent! Very close to the Olive Garden version.
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage (we make our own by grinding lean pork loin chops with crushed red pepper flakes, course salt, pepper and fennel seed)
- 1½ tsp crushed red peppers
- 1 large diced onion, white or yellow
- 2 strips bacon, chopped finely
- 2 tsp garlic, minced finely
- 10 cups water
- 5 cubes of chicken bouillon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb sliced Russet potatoes, or about 3 large potatoes
- ¼ to 1/2 of a bunch of Kale
In the same pan, sauté bacon pieces, garlic & onions for about 15 minsutes or until the onions are soft.
Add chicken bouillon and water to the pot and bring to a boil.
Add the sliced potatoes and cook until soft, about 1/2 hour.
Add the heavy cream and heat but don't boil, stir often.
Return the sausage to the pan and add the kale, let all heat through about 2 minutes. Top with shredded Parmesan Cheese.
Serve With This Homemade Rustic Bread