Thursday, July 1, 2010

Garden Glimpses

I just graduated from school and haven't found a job yet so I've been trying to keep myself busy with gardening and canning.

Here are some photos of our bounty...
Purple-black gladiolus from the bulb garden

We didn't have room in the garden this year for cucumbers so I picked up these beauties at our local farmer's market at $1 a pound. We are going to have homemade hamburger dill chips and whole dill pickles again this year! (Below is a pic of the lime bath, to help them stay crisp.)
“We encourage you to grow all the food that you feasibly can on your own property. Berry bushes, grapevines, fruit trees—plant them if your climate is right for their growth. Grow vegetables and eat them from your own yard. Even those residing in apartments or condominiums can generally grow a little food in pots and planters. Study the best methods of providing your own foods. Make your garden as neat and attractive as well as productive. If there are children in your home, involve them in the process with assigned responsibilities.”
Spencer W. Kimball, ‘Family Preparedness,’ Ensign, May 1976, 124



This week I canned apricots for two days, along with fresh blackberry jam (we made friends with a local farmer who has berry bushes on their property line - free for the picking!). This is one day's work.

So far I've put up 40 quarts of apricots, 24 quarts of peaches, 12 pints and 7 half-pints of dilly beans, 6 pints of strawberry lemonade concentrate, 8 pints of peach jam, 8 pints of spiced peaches, 12 half-pints of blueberry syrup and a dozen jars of blackberry jam. I'm hoping to add the pickles, some blackberry syrup and cranberry as the season goes on that is unless I get a job (that would be SWEET!).




4 comments:

AmyAnn said...

Amber ...you are amazing! Some time can you teach me how to do all that!!!

Scott and Kim said...

wow... im speechless!!

Sharee and Arthur said...

WOW!!! Great job, Amber! How gratifying to see all those jars lined up on the counter. :) I'll just be happy to get some peaches and applesauce this year.

Andy & Mindy said...

I Love to read your bolg it is so inspiring and makes me want to get up and do something! I miss you guys so I love to read what you are up to these days Keep on Bolggn'