Monday, July 26, 2010

August's Book: The Coffin Quilt

I just finished Ann Rinaldi's The Coffin Quilt and I loved it! For some reason I was so drawn to poor Roseanna who was "so purty that just being next to her is better than a piece of rock candy". And when she ran off with Johnse Hatfield "teeth so white, smile so sassy, eyes so blue...and dimples! What was it Ma said about dimples? "Sometimes you don't know if the Lord poked his finger there or the devil" that I felt my heart swelling and breaking right along with hers.

A good, clean read.
___________________________________________

""The Civil War conditioned men who fought in it to kill and to hate." Consequently, men came home from the war to their mountains with minds and rifles primed to react to the slightest trespass upon their exaggerated loyalty to kinfolk. The story is told by Fanny, the youngest of the fourteen McCoy children, who traces the beginnings of the famous feud to a confused Civil War shooting and a dispute over a herd of pigs. When her favorite older sister, the beautiful Roseanna, runs off with handsome Johnse Hatfield, it's like a bucket of gasoline thrown on the smoldering hatred between the two families."
--Amazon Review

Kentucky Coffin Quilt

1 comment:

Sharee and Arthur said...

Mmmm, I'll have to give it a read. I love a good book. Sorry we missed you guys on our trip. Bad timing, I guess. The kids were sad we didn't get to see you too. But Thanksgiving will be very fun!