Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Weekend

What a wonderful weekend and not just because it was Valentine's Day. I don't know if you know it but Michael hates Valentine's Day. He says it is just a day made up to force people to express themselves when they should be doing it all along. And he is right. I'm so lucky to have a sweet husband who tells me he loves me multiple times a day and shows me he loves me too! I feel blessed that I don't have to wait until Valentine's Day rolls around to find out how he feels about me by how big the gift he gives me is. That being said, I LOVE Valentine's Day. I have fond memories of grade school parties and yummy chocolates. I love the flowers and the beautiful spring-like colors. We have a few traditions that we love and I think we added a new one this year.

I got the chance to make some bouquets for my dad this year (and last year). It was so much fun going to the floral supply and picking out the types of flowers I wanted to use. I loved putting them together and I think they came out nicely. The best part is it was cheap to do!



On Saturday we arose early and went to our Ward Temple Day. The 10 am session was PACKED. It was wonderful! The bay area was sunny and warm. Going to the temple of Valentine's day is a tradition we've held since we were first married. It is the greatest way to show love that I know of.

Michael and I took a few photos a la Julia Child and her husband (but not quite as sophisticated).



The flowers were all blooming and the fountains were flowing. It was a glorious sight!


Ladies - chivalry is not dead! Michael still carries my temple bag for me :)

After the temple we drove to San Leandro to visit Mike's niece and her family. She is Norb. Jr.'s daughter and she and her family are so amazing! They have 7 beautiful and lively children. They love to play World of Warcraft as a family and every Saturday they play Dungeons and Dragons as a family.


The took us to their favorite Sushi restaurant for dinner. Michael and I were brave and tried most everything. The raw fish was surprisingly un-fishy tasting but our favorite was the crispy California roll.
Me trying out the raw white tuna.

Mikey, his niece Ann and her husband Dave.

A new tradition? I hope so! Michael BBQed some FaNTaSTiC ribs on Sunday. He pre-baked them with a dry rub and then slathered them in BBQ sauce and grilled them. I normally don't eat ribs (meat with bones grosses me out) but I couldn't help myself this time.

The fire, the smokey goodness...

The delicious meat! The perfect end to a great weekend.

I was thinking it might be romantic to have ribs on Valentine's Day. You know, because of the scripture in Genesis 2: 21 -24 "And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to come upon Adam, and he slept and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: She shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." It's a stretch, I know but those ribs were so GOOD!



4 comments:

Michael and Amber said...

Those were good ribs and I think that is going to be a fantastic tradition. Loves,

Mikey.

Jack and Joann said...

Hi Michael and Amber,
Thanks for leaving comments this past week. I want you to stop by now and see two photos of the biggest Mormon Temple in the United States. It is in Kensington, Maryland.
Joann
P.S. I love the spring flowers!

Sharee and Arthur said...

great flower arrangments, guys. And I think that Ribs on Valentines day was very clever of you. :) I've said it before, but you guys are the cutest couple in my book. Happy Valentine's day!!!

Breeana said...

HAHAHA!!! That is SO cute!!! I love the Valentine's/Rib tradition. Very unique and COOL.

And your Julia Childs picture is adorable! (Do you like that movie about her with Meryl Streep?? I thought it was so good!)