Monday, September 1, 2008

Michael's First Day of Graduate School

Well, it was really Michael's first week of graduate school since he was staying in Fresno from Monday thru Friday and I was left back in Modesto to work. This experience really illustrated a lot of things to us. First, and I'm sure we all already know this, the Lord works on his own timeline. Michael and I prayed and prayed about how we could afford to move to Fresno for graduate school. In the end we decided that we could not afford an apartment in Fresno and I could not find a job that paid anything close to what I was getting up here. Which meant that I was to going to have to stay in Modesto and work and Michael would stay with roommates in Fresno all week. We have been counseled to stay out of debt, so this arrangement was GOOD right? On the day before school started the guys he had arranged to room with months ago called and said they did not want him to live there. Luckily our friend Lew has family in Fresno and they allowed Mike to stay with them (for free) that first week. Michael got to stay in their son's Star Wars room (their son is on his mission right now).



Second, to help me deal with being apart and pass the time while Michael was going to be away, we decided that it would be a good idea for me to sign up for classes at MJC. I only needed 21 units to finish my associates of foreign language and most of those were elective units. So I signed up. I was getting my education, Mikey was getting his advanced degree, that was BETTER right?

The third thing we learned was that (and this is exactly how Michael put it) "It is not good for man to be alone." Michael and I were only apart for 5 days but it was terrible for both of us. We kept journals for each other and read the same FHE lesson on Monday night, Michael called home at night and we got to talk to each other for a few minutes but it was still aweful. By Thursday, after a week of working from 8 to 5 and then going straight to school until 10 each night I was ready to have a melt down. At the same time Michael had found a place for us to live, with two LDS return missionaries - renting a room (and bathroom) for $350 a month. It is not the ideal situation, but we have learned that what is BEST is that we live together. I have no idea what I'm going to do for work but I'm sure I'll find something. I cancelled all my classes at MJC and my last day at work is September 12th. I can't wait to be in Fresno with Michael.

Michael, a few minutes before he left for his first week at school.  Go Bulldogs!!






                                               One of our Journals and FHE lessons.

1 comment:

Sharee and Arthur said...

Oh, I'm so glad you guys will get to be together! I'm sure everything will work out just as it should. You guys are awesome!